Build Push

Pile of Bricks

Eight Hour Zoom Meeting



Today was definitely one of the most interesting days in my time working on this startup. We had a deadline to get a build of our app out today, with all the bugs gone (high hopes, I know).

We have a general workflow where the usability team reports errors in a structure (breaking, fundamental necessary features, design tweaks) etc that's added to on discovery, and we attack them as they come.

Unfortuantely, since almost all of the people on the project are interns and are working part time, we had a week where we were finishing up one build, addressing all the reported errors, and then had a big company wide meeting where people went through last night's build, only to find more breaking errors to fix.

They could have been caught prior to this build, but that's just the nature of the project in its current state. So, the dev team basically worked all day on a zoom meeting to make yet another build for tonight, which is what we're submitting to the app store now.

The Work



I've said it before, but I've never regretted coding on a windows machine until working with React Native and cross platform development. So many errors that I couldn't reproduce, simply because I can't emulate iOs.

We pretty much just went through bugs one by one, had some (roundabout) conversations about fixing them, during which we found more and more things we decided to change on the fly.

It was fun though. It was collaborative, it was nice to see other's methods in action, and I think we got a lot done.

I feel pretty good about my contributions, because I was able to hot fix in a quick fix that the CEO was pretty adamant about getting in (more a usability issue than a bug). I also pointed out what was the root cause of the other breaking error we discovered today.

What I Learned



Test, test, test. A lot of times this week, I kind of wandered off the project (my 'down' time was spent working through my React Native course). There were so many bugs found today that I'm sure I could have found, I just didn't think of how to uncover them.

Usability teams are crucial... but there can be some miscommunication about what is and isn't a UX/UI component that can be improved, and a bug. I think when we formalize and expand our testing procedures, this will get a lot better.

Crunches can be fun. Now, I know I would hate the horror-story conditions of perma-crunch, but I think at least we had reasonable expectations, worked together as a team, and figured things out. It was an exciting environment.